Thursday 26 August 2010

How to drive a car

I had my third driving lesson the other day, my first in over a year. Not that I told my new instructor. She thinks I've had a lot more experience than I have.

She also thinks I have ADHD, owing to the fact I drive at near enough the limit and can't find my reference points because I'm never sat still. I won't deny that I'm hyper, but I'm paying full attention. It just doesn't look it.

If I wasn't paying attention, I wouldn't have been amazing, which I was. That means I get to drive around a different housing estate next week, which should be fun.

No, my instructor's impressed. Evidently terrified, but impressed nonetheless.

Oh, and I killed my first vertebrate. Don't worry, darlings, it was only a pigeon. I accelerated into it. Beautiful, feathers everywhere. It's amazing the mess you can make at 20mph.

I had a bit of a pointless day after that. I fell asleep and woke up to make a risotto, then went to sleep again. This means that I don't have any films or books to review. I could review the music I've been listening to?

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Well, it's beautiful, if a little over-popular. There's a reason for it though. I doubt I'll ever get over it. 5 stars.

Beethoven's 5th, first movement. Again, very popular, but also very good. 5 stars.

Beethoven's 6th, fifth movement. Must have been a bit of a let-down after the 5th, to be honest. 3 stars.

Holst's The Planets, Mars, The Bringer of War. Oh! That start! So good. So very good. You know how I know you'll believe me it's good? It featured in Sherlock, the last episode, where Sherlock and John fight the Golem in the darkened lecture theatre. So dramatic! Ah. 5 stars.

If you think I'm being generous, don't worry. All that is going to stop. Holst's The Planets, Venus, the Bringer of Peace. Boring! Talk about a comedown. It makes me all shivery to think about how awful it is. It's so twinkly and pathetic. Two stars.

Holst's The Planets, Mercury, the Winged Messenger. It works. It's not amazing, but it works; the rising and falling scales are exactly what one would imagine from the flight of Mercury. And what it has in technical qualities, it doesn't exactly lack in art. Four stars.

There; I've tried to review orchestral music, which I'm only listening to so I don't suck at the music rounds on University Challenge. The only times I have ever got points on those is when Moonlight Sonata came up and another time when there were a whole set of questions on David Bowie songs. I did alright in the picture rounds today (watching a repeat I hadn't seen before). There was a set of questions on pictures of Moses (15 points) and another set on poker hands (the full 25).

Don't try telling me I'm a geek. It's not strictly true. I do know things, however, and I want to know more. I want people to know that I know more than most people. I will never apologise, though it pleases me to think I might need to. Mostly because I won't.

2 comments: